Photos and updates of the work we have put in to developing our Victorian home

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Things that go 'bump' in the night

I'm pretty used to things that go 'bump' in the night as i live in Wallington, a small place inbetween Croydon and Sutton, just off the high street. Every night as i am dropping off to sleep i am kept awake by the tourettic-bawls of drunken chavs as they leave the pubs and head home stand at the end of my road.

However, i think we may have a house ghost.
Well, i *say* that, what i mean is there have been some strange happenings in our house.
I live with a close friend in a flat share and have lived there for nearly two years now. During that time, the house has been quiet, that is up until just recently. Over the last couple of weeks, both my flat mate and i have been experiencing 'things' disappearing. However, the most recent occurrence will take some beating. There is a line of fresh candle wax cutting a swathe across our lounge carpet.
This probably wouldn't be out of place in most households, however, neither my flat mate or i have lit a candle since before Christmas and this wax is new.

What makes this all the more strange is the fact that it is not the first time i have experienced such things. My mother died when i was young and shortly after her death, i experienced the disappperance of many items in the house. My mother had been a hairdresser and ironically, my brushes and combs and other items kept disappearing. When i say disappear, what i mean is i would be brushing my hair, put down my brush, spray my hair (it was the eighties), and then go to pick up my brush again and it would be gone. I would find said item in odd places weeks later like under the bed or at the back of a cupboard. I got pretty used to this happening and after speaking with a family friend who had spoken to a spiritualist, believed that it was my mother just reminding me that she was still here.

What makes the discovery of the line of wax even more interesting is the fact that it seems to 'start' from the photograph i have hanging up of my mother.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you lost your mum :( I always thought I'd be scared witless if something supernatural occurred without the possibility of logical explanation, since I'm deeply cynical of such things. However, your experiences sound almost...well...comforting? Nice thought that she might be looking out for you still :)

12:01 pm

 
Blogger Fake1D said...

Thank you for your kind words.
It is comforting to think that she is still 'around' in one way or another.
In my experience when these type of things happen, they are usually accompanied by a feeling of calm so i don't find them disturbing.

4:51 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please dont make me shiver like that!
We recently moved house, several times my brother and mum have reported hearing a high pitched whistling noise in the house and strangest of all, during the summer whilst i was around one saturday morning(my brother and i were still asleep in our bedrooms) when my mum and dad were eating breakfast in the dining room there was a bang so loud that the glasses in the cabinets in the dining room shook and the light fitting swayed. My parents room is above the dining room and was obviously empty, but it sounded like someone had falled out of bed really violently, both myself and my brother had heard nothing and remained asleep.
We never got to the bottom of that and none of the neighbours heard anything.

sometimes things are very odd

-goosewing-

11:41 pm

 
Blogger Fake1D said...

They are all the signs of a 'presence', especially the high pitched noise.
It does sound a bit spooky. How did you all feel when it was going on?
I've seen cornflakes packets rock back and forth and on one occasion, during my first meeting with someone, the room 'filled' up with their family memebers - right down to their disabled mother in a wheelchair. The odd thing was that their family was still alive. Was very bizarre but, as i said before, i felt totally calm at the time.

9:59 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home